Real Tennis (sometimes known as Royal Tennis) is a fascinating indoor racket sport – the original Tudor game, from which lawn tennis has evolved. There have been no real tennis courts in Essex since the reign of Henry VIII who played at a court in Chelmsford, so we have put this right by building two courts at Prested – two of only 27 courts in the UK.
Some liken the game to a combination of squash, chess and snooker on court. It is a game of tactics which can be played either with speed or guile, making it an ideal game for all ages. Some people start at an early age, others in their middle years, and plenty don’t try it until they have retired.
For details please see MORE ABOUT REAL TENNIS
For the latest news about Real Tennis see REAL TENNIS NEWS
We have three outdoor lawn tennis courts at Prested and our pros, Steven Taylor and Toby Bawden are available for coaching each day, or you can just book a court and enjoy a game with friends. For all court bookings please call the club reception (01376 573399).
We have lots of activities and coaching sessions:
- a weekly Ladies’ Morning, involving some coaching and match play
- an adult club night run by assistant coach Abigail Claydon
- a hugely successful junior section with 4 players in the top 25 for their age groups in the country
- a lively schedule of classes for our juniors
- a summer Club Tournament for all members
For details please see MORE ABOUT LAWN TENNIS